Sunday, February 5, 2012

13 wks 1 day


Note: My husband and I are currently expecting our first baby after 7 years of infertility and 3 cycles of IVF. I have been writing blog posts since we found out but not publishing them until now (I’m currently 13 weeks). I’ll be posting one a day until I ‘catch-up’ to current time. I ask that if you know me ‘in real life’ that you not post about this on Facebook, because while we are ecstatic to be this far, we are still being very cautious.

Written January 25, 2012

We're inching ever closer to the second trimester. The NT scan with the MFM was Monday, an odd-ish experience. Our appointment was at 9AM but they told us to be there at 8:30AM. We (I) filled out a ton of paperwork and then we waited. The MFM is the only one is the area so there were a lot of people waiting. We finally got called back for the ultrasound. The sonographer couldn't have been sweeter, super nice. It was so weird having a 'real' ultrasound (non-transvaginal). I was nervous but not nearly as nervous as I've been at previous ultrasounds. Doug and I watched with total amazement as our baby appeared on screen, he/she was swallowing, moving his/her arms and legs around, we were completely entranced. The neural fold measurement was 1.something, so well within the normal limits. She also pointed out the nasal bone, stomach, bladder, placenta, femur bones, the cerebral cortex, etc. Everything looked totally normal. We got eight little pictures, four 3-D ones and four regular ones, you can find them on the little separate tab up top labeled "Ultrasounds". 

Once the ultrasound was over, we were taken to a small room and proceeded to wait f-o-r-e-v-e-r for the doctor. I thought Doug was going to have a conniption but eventually, the doctor came in. The doctor was very cut and dry, matter of fact, lacking any warm and fuzzy parts. Anyway, we decided to do the integrated
testing, which is the first trimester testing (the ultrasound + bloodwork) and then I go back in 4 weeks for another blooddraw. Then they'll take the results of the ultrasound, the bloodwork, plus my age (30) and give us a risk assessment. So we're hoping for a low risk assessment and one healthy baby. 

I feel fine, still napping in the evenings. I have developed a tiny bit of stiffness in my left back hip area, mainly after I sit for awhile. I'm still going to the gym at lunch and also still seeing Dr. Needles on Friday afternoons. My clothes are getting tighter (mainly my tights/skirts/pants) I broke down and ordered two maternity skirts from Gap.com, they fit very well but have to be hemmed because I'm on the short-side. I also got some maternity tights and panty hose, which fit well in the abdomen area but are so long. I don't have a "bump" I have more of a "ate-too-many-donuts" rounded bloat. Which is fine with me, at least it's something. 

With each day it's starting to feel more real. We've been talking about our nursery plans and possible childcare plans. It's starting to seem more real, although I'm still cautious, I've read too many stories about bad outcomes, even after 12 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment